to SELL, to HELP BUYING or to EDUCATE PURCHASE?
The instinctual reaction to SELL is strong, you know it. But today, it is not so much a selling as it is a BUYING OPPORTUNITY; your clients want what they want to pay for. How do you manage prospects that are not ready to buy? Do you know their Buying Cycle & Triggers? And how do you adapt your Marketing communication to each potential buyer’s stage in the cycle?
Understand the Buying Cycle, segment persona into profiles and walk alongside purchasing path:
1. general prospects (have the right profile to become a client, not necessarily have a need);
2. aware prospects (of a need that they want to fulfil or, ideally, of your brand);
3. considering prospects (when start evaluating solutions to their need);
4. decided prospects (ready to purchase a product / service that serves their need).
Effective LEAD NURTURING is all about EDUCATING PURCHASE, building a trusted relationship, authority to accelerate potential client through the consideration process, without losing it or its potential to become a buyer.
Continuously nurture CONSUMER JOURNEY from “STIMULUS”, to ZMOT, FMOT and SMOT (Zero, First and Second Moment of Truth). EDUCATE PURCHASE is the way to be the SOLUTION THEY WANT, while HELP BUYING is the way to be the BRAND THEY PAY FOR…. then, just SELL.
A personalized content helps each persona consume the educational info and move through the buying cycle. Client experience generated stories, product comparisons, specific advices that serve the need, etc. all help to provide the data and info that a prospects looks for in their own research. Do not SELL your product / service but BE THE SOLUTION to answer an existing specific problem / need.
LEAD NURTURING strategy is best executed when mixed with digital listening, progressive profiling and email marketing automation software that allows you to better understand, to segment prospect, to EDUCATE PURCHASE with relevant messages on the right channels of communication, therefore most likely to be read, and to HELP them BUY at any stage.
Be sure that you understand the BUYING TRIGGERS that may causes a potential prospect, with a clear need, to convert into purchase with a sense of purpose and urgency. Track who is advancing in their buying cycle (whether they come back to visit pages, such as the pricing page, that indicate buying intent, so as to apply more expensive sale resources to those leads, knowing that they are qualified enough to warrant the additional cost). Do a better job qualifying who is really ready to buy and improve your marketing messaging and trigger those quality prospects.
Finding potential prospects earlier in their buying cycle, and building a relationship with them over time, is a strong and strategic advantage. Some marketing communication efforts (e.g. Facebook ads, banner ads, social referrals, PR stories, educational presentations at conferences, etc.) produce buyers that are earlier in their cycle, and frequently just becoming aware that there is a potentially interesting product now available. People that are later in the buying cycle (Consideration or Purchase stages) are most likely to be using tools like Google, blog and review sites to search for vendors and products to solve a problem, so tailor your marketing campaigns. Those leads are highly valued because there is a high level of buyer intent, but the marketing efforts should be tailored to their specifics.
The 5 MUST CONSIDER take-away points:
1. recognize that a large portion of your target prospects won’t be ready to buy at first encounters, maybe not even later, but never diminish their true potential to become buyers;
2. make sure that need is acknowledged, if not, shape it, make it desirable and start nurturing their interest figuring out in every moment where they are in their buying cycle;
3. adapt your Marketing communication to each potential buyer’s stage, develop a rich lead nurturing system to EDUCATE and HELP each of them move through their buying cycle;
4. convert consistently to higher quality prospects, test trigger events that may move them directly into the buying phase, if not continue nurturing until they are ready to purchase;
5. understand the different buying persona and what may trigger their decision to purchase… and then HELP them BUY your product service, being the best solution they were looking for.
Start thinking and acting by implementing this NEW PERSPECTIVE and your “SELLING” will answer an existing or created “BUYING OPPORTUNITY”. Detailed “HOW TO” in our LILAC workshops.